Elecraft KX2 HF Portable Transceiver Go Kit
Ultra-Compact Home/Portable/Mobile Station
Our KX2 “stealth” transceiver can go wherever your imagination takes you. Thanks to state-of-the-art construction techniques, it’s only 5.8 x 2.8 x 1.5” and weighs just 13 ounces (0.37 kg) — making it the smallest full-featured HF radio on the planet. It puts out up to 12 watts, covers nine bands, and shares many features with the KX3. It also works with the KXPA100 amplifier.
To maximize your freedom to roam, you can outfit your KX2 with an internal 2.6 amp-hour Li-ion battery*. Current drain is as little as 135 mA, yielding up to 8 hours of typical operation on a single battery charge. There’s also an internal automatic antenna tuner module (KXAT2), which can tune a random wire, dipole, or whip on multiple bands.
A rear tilt-foot angles the KX2 for use on any surface, from desktop to park bench to rock. The KX2 also makes a great mobile rig, and it can even be used hand-held. It includes a built-in mic for HT-style operation, but also works with our MH3 hand mic, which includes UP/DOWN switches for hands-free VFO tuning.
The KX2’s powerful 32-bit DSP offers features dual watch, stereo audio, user-programmable filter bandwidths, noise blanking, noise reduction, and auto-notch. RTTY and PSK data modes are built in — no PC needed — as well as a memory keyer and digital voice recorder for transmit. You can even log CW and DATA contacts internally using the KX2’s logging feature, then send the log data to any computer later on.
With its internal ATU, the KX2 works great with ad-hoc field antennas. If you’re considering operating on the move (pedestrian mobile), check out our new AX1 multi-band whip, which covers 20 and 17 meters, as well as 15 meters (with ATU). The AX1 breaks into two 6″ pieces for transport–it’s small enough to fit in a pocket.
There are two padded carrying cases for the KX2, including the CS40 and the larger ES60. Both include belt straps and an interior compartment. Either can accommodate an AX1.
Only 13 oz. (0.3 kg) – ideal for portable and hand-held operation
• Internal 2.6 Ah, 11 V Li-ion battery option
• Internal wide-range ATU option
• Current drain as low as 135 mA
• Built-in microphone and speaker
• Advanced DSP provides dual watch, noise reduction, noise blanking, auto-notch, stereo audio
• Versatile software-defined radio (SDR) architecture
• Operates in data modes (PSK31/RTTY) with or without a PC
- 80-10 meter ham bands; general coverage receive from 3-32.0MHz (also covers 0.5 to 3 MHz with reduced sensitivity)
- All modes: SSB, CW, Data, AM and FM (four sub-modes)
- Ultra-compact size: 2.8”H x 5.8”W x 1.5”D; 13 oz (less options); low-profile knobs and feet for minimum height
- Rear tilt foot provides 3-point mount for rugged terrain
- Custom high-contrast LCD with alphanumeric text display
- Current drain as low as 135 mA in receive mode
- High-performance 32-bit floating-point DSP
- Built-in PSK/TTY decode/encode allows data mode operation without a PC; transmit in data modes using CW keyer paddle
- Synthesizer has 1-Hz tuning resolution
- Integrated numeric keypad for direct frequency entry
- Software-defined-radio (SDR) architecture for versatility
- Switchable preamp and attenuator
- 8-band RX EQ
- Simultaneous dual receive over up to +/- 23 kHz for split-DX operation
- Built-in speaker; stereo jack for headphones or powered speakers
- Easy-to-use Passband Tuning (PBT) for shift/width/hicut/locut; roofing filters automatically track DSP filter settings
- Auto-notch removes interfering carriers; adjustable noise reduction and noise blanking; stereo audio effect
- Center-tuning indicator for CW and data modes; auto-spot
- Up to 12 W on 80-15 m, 8 W on 12 and 10 m (typ.)
- 100 W with KXPA100 amplifier
- Rugged, SWR- and temperature-protected final amplifier stage
- Use with built-in mic or MH3 (with UP/DN VFO functions)
- CW keyer with 8-50 WPM range; fast, full-break-in keying
- Built-in digital voice recorder (DVR) with 2 message memories
- Three CW/DATA message memories
- Fast, silent, PIN-diode T-R switching – no noisy relays
- DSP speech processing for excellent “punch”
- 8-band TX EQ tailors passband to your voice and microphone
- General-purpose and per-band memories store VFOs, modes, etc.
- Computer control via supplied USB or RS232 cable
- Free firmware updates via provided application software
- Programmable switch (PFn) for access to an often-used menu entry
- Full remote-control command set works with popular computer software applications
- Selectable switch-press tones or full Morse code-based interface
- Tutorial-style manual ideal for new hams